Re: Ring JOB

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Ring JOB
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:41:37 -0700

>I've never heard of "blowing" an oil ring.  I'd suspect something related
>to your fiddling with the carbs.  Especially because black smoke
>indicates a very rich mixture.  If you were burning oil, it would be
>blue.  Plugs can be wet from gas.

Unfortunately, I have. Driving in Colorado, I noticed the increase in smoke
from my exhaust and a definite increase in oil consumption. On the 500 mile
journey back to college (University of Nebraska), she made it but towards
the end, I was getting 25 miles to the quart. I had to push start the car
after adding gas or oil, and the smoke starting filling the interior of the
car the last ten miles. But I made it!

During the resulting engine overhaul, I found one piston was ringless. I had
to have the block resleeved, but she was back on the road a few months and
several hundred dollars later (this was in 1979).

An adventure I never forgot.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net