SU carb leaks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU carb leaks
From: lawref@lawref.com (Ernest E. Gilbert)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:25:37 -0800
I've got one that has stumped me.

HS-4 carbs on '67 b GT. Fresh rebuilt with all gaskets new. Carbs are
balanced with airflow indicator, and mixture is close as shown by emissions
gas test and by slight increase in rpm when partially covering intake of
one. Used Gross needles and seats. Tank and pump are new. This has all
happened in first 50 miles since rebuild.

At over 55 on freeway carbs begin to leak. I can tell from the smell when it
happens. Today I got on the freeway and went up to speed. Started smelling
gas. Stoped to check and there is puddle in frame and float chamber of rear
carb wet. Dried puddle, got back on freeway and cruised at 55 for ten miles,
no smell. Added power and got smell. Stopped and found puddle again and
front carb float chamber wet. Dried puddle and came the rest of the way home
at 55, no smell. The only other two times on the freeway since rebuilding
the carbs were one ramp to the next and I smelled it both times but it went
away as soon as I got off the freeway. Drove around town, no smell. Tried to
duplicate leak by running engine at high rpm, no leak.

I'm going to replace the Gross needles and seats with stock tonight and try
that but otherwise I'm stumped. Any explains?

Ernest E. Gilbert
lawref@lawref.com
http://www.lawref.com/
http://www.lawref.com/eeg/eeg.html