SU carb leaks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU carb leaks
From: lawref@lawref.com (Ernest E. Gilbert)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 07:35:11 -0800
Thanks for all the replys, and while I still have trouble accepting it, here
is the answer.

I was finally able to duplicate the leak in the shop by holding throttle
open for a minute or so at about 4000 rpm. Sure enough the fuel would begin
sqirting out of the overflow orfice, usually on the front carb. I tried:

1) reducing the float level, no change
2) new float, no change
3) three brand new Grose jets, no change
4) stock needles and seats, fixed it

Denise writes that she has had same problem with NEW grose gets. I have
always changed to Grose jets as soon as I get a car or help anyone else and
they have never leaked before, and they always fixed any problem. But I ran
out of the stock I bought about a year ago and this time I was using jets
recently purchased from Moss.

Denise also pointed out that the stock units are just fine. I agree with the
proviso that by their design the Grose units should provide more tolerance
for crap in the fuel and wear over time.

But it would appear that something has changed. Until someone explains this
sudden change in the performance of newer Grose jets it seems that our fix
is to change the stock ones more frequently. And stop recommending Grose
jets to others.

Thanks for the replys and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ernest E. Gilbert
lawref@lawref.com
http://www.lawref.com/lawref/
http://www.lawref.com/lawref/eeg/eeg.html