RE: Autocross alignment (MGB)

To: jtrindle@tsquare.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Autocross alignment (MGB)
From: john bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 07:25:22 PST
> "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com> writes

>Since I wore out both front tires at the last TSCC event on the
>INSIDE
>(BFG R1s, and I mean toward the inside edge of the tread portion) I
>decided to go to a "professional" to get my alignment done.  I know
>how to
>set toe on this thing but hadn't had a chance to do it since I put in
>the
>"new" steering rack.  I know, a big no-no.

John,
    I cannot offer much in the way of advice, but I had a 72B that my
son now owns and drives. This car he put new tires on and within a few
months they were shot. The wear pattern you describe (I think) is very
similar to what I saw. The inside edge of both tires treads were gone
to the cords but the rest of the tire tread was OK. The car, when I
first bought it had been *got at* by the PO. The dash had been removed
and a plywood sheet had been fabricated in it's place. It had every
instrument dial imaginable, separate water & oil temps etc etc. A very
strange and IMO ugly set up. The front bumper was removed and some
black round pipe *thingies* attached, one on each side. The car was
red and the hood black. The wheels were mag alloy and way too wide for
the wheel wells. The PO had crushed the fender lip flat and bent the
edges out with vise grips to get some more clearance.  The rear end
had a leaf removed from each spring and a stabilizer bar with
telescopic shocks installed. The front end had been lowered by using
shorter springs. It was  not possible to put a finger between the tire
and the fender....I'll never know how this thing ever went around a
corner, perhaps it was never did and that's why the guy sold it.
The point I am getting to is this, when looking at the car from the
front I could determine why the tires wore on the inside only. With
the set up as it was, the coil pans were too low for the existing A
arms. The king pins were set at an angle that resulted in the tire
wear described. I believe *moss* sell some special negative camber A
arms that perhaps allow for this lowered setup and prevent the king
pin misalignment.
I have since replaced the front and rear springs to original and as
expected we now get normal tire wear and a little better wheel arch
clearance.
Could this condition, I just described, be your situation? - John

Name: john bartholomew San Jose CA.   Usual disclaimers apply
E-mail: jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  69MGBGT, 74MGB, restoring 76MGB, 79MGB, 72MGB daily driver.