Re: Autocross alignment (MGB)

To: jtrindle@tsquare.com, va-autox@tsquare.com
Subject: Re: Autocross alignment (MGB)
From: Z281LE@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 21:48:55 -0500
>Since I wore out both front tires at the last TSCC event on the INSIDE
>(BFG R1s, and I mean toward the inside edge of the tread portion) I
>decided to go to a "professional" to get my alignment done.  I know how to
>set toe on this thing but hadn't had a chance to do it since I put in the
>"new" steering rack.  I know, a big no-no.

It sounds to me like the problem is not with the toe setting, but instead it
may be that you have too much negative camber.  If your suspension
modifications (springs, sway bars, whatever) eliminated a lot of the body
roll in corners, then you may need less negative camber.  Decreasing the
negative camber on your car (in otherwords,  making the setting closer to
zero degrees) may not only help tire wear but might also give you more
traction in corners.   Ernie Manzella, an ESP Camaro driver in the DC area,
had this same problem with inside tread wear last year.  He found that by
changing his camber setting from 1 degree negative to only .5 degrees
negative the car became noticeably quicker and started getting even tire
wear.

Mike Martin