Re: Bearing noise location?

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Bearing noise location?
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:18:09 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:

> > I posted earlier about what I thought was bearing noise.  "Tock tock tock
> > tock tock" once per second.  I just tried using a mechanic's stethoscope
> > to pinpoint the location of the noise.  No luck.  Either I haven't found
> > the right spot or a sound from deep inside is just hard to locate.  Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Otherwise I'll try to drop the pan tonight and have a look at the
> > bearings.  What should I expect them to look like?  If they look bad is
> > there a marking to tell if the bearing shells are other than standard
> > size?  Or should I try to get a micrometer and measure?  Or just order the
> > standard set, get some plastigauge, and pray that everything will be
> > alright?
>
> Arrgh...  Don't drop the pan until you've eliminated the other
> possibilities.  A rod knock goes knack-a knack-a knack-a; it's a two
> part sound.  Lots of other stuff goes tock tock tock.  It could even
> be your water pump or generator.  Try listening to other parts of

Nope.  I thought of that too.  Took the fan belt off so the water pump
and dynamo and fan were out of commission: noise was the same.

> your engine and if it still sounds like it's coming from inside the
> engine, adjust the valves.  If you've got a bad cam lobe or lifter,
> excessive valve lash (too much clearance) will tell you.

Valves are adjusted to spec and tick quietly.  I'm not sure I understand
your last sentence.  How do I tell if I have a bad cam or lifter?

It does sound like it's from inside the engine, not in the rocker area,
so I thought I had it narrowed down to rod or main bearings.  A friend at
work listened to it and said it sounded like rod bearings.  What do worn
main bearings sound like?  Cam bearings?

> In answer to your question, you measure the crankshaft to find the
> size of the bearings.  However, replacing the bearings requires that
> the head be off, too.  If it turns out to be the cam or lifters, the
> cam, and therefore the lifters, can be replaced with the head on, the
> pan on and the engine in the car.  Once you find out what's making
> the noise, tell the list so we can tell you how to fix it.  Good luck!
>
> Denise Thorpe
> thorpe@kegs.saic.com

Thanks for the help, advice, and patience.

Kevin Sullivan -- sick MGA 1600  :(