Re: Air pump

To: Thomas Wannenburg <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: Air pump
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 16:26:05 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Thomas Wannenburg wrote:

>   I remember a recent thread started by someone looking for an air pump.  I
>am
> slowly restoring my recently purchased 74 Midget, and I have noticed that
>some
> PO removed the air pump.  Living our here in rural North Carolina, and
> considering the prevailing spectrum of personal transportation in this area,
> suspect that I may still pass inspection.  Does anyone out there have direct
> experience to comment on this, and will it affect the performance of my car
>in
> any way to drive without the air pump?  VB advertise an air pump for close to

It should have no negative impact on performance -- the air pump injects
air into the exhaust manifold to insure more complete oxidation of the
exhaust gas.  Doing that, or failing to do it, has no effect on the
engine's performance or longevity.  It does take some minimal power to run
the little air pump, so in theory the performance will improve when the
system is removed, but the improvement is probably subliminal.  Should you
replace it at great expense?  For a Sunday driver, I wouldn't unless the
authorities made me.  You'd improve the environment more by planting $300
worth of trees.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910