Re: Clutch thowout bearings...

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch thowout bearings...
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 96 12:30:39 PST
Glenn Stauffer asked:

> What is the normal rate of wear for the graphite ring
> release bearings.  I was told 25,000 miles by a mechanic who replaced one
> for me one time.

The throwout bearing should last as long as a clutch.  Both of these wear
at a rate depending on your driving style.  If you ride the clutch, both
the clutch and the TO bearing will wear out faster.  However, if you sit
at a stop with the clutch in, the throwout bearing will wear out faster
than the clutch.  My last clutch/TO bearing set went 70K miles.

The other solution is to get an MG 1100 because it has a real enclosed
bearing for a TO bearing.  And you don't have to pull the engine OR tranny
to replace either the clutch or the TO bearing.  I have no idea if an MG
1100 TO bearing can be used in a B.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com