Re: differential draining and refilling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: differential draining and refilling
From: jfischer@supercollider.com (James Fischer)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:02:14 -0500
>  As part of the wintertime freshening of my recently acquired '70
>Midget, I am planning to drain and re-fill the axle.  I am perplexed,
>hewever, by the bizarre drain and filler plugs in the diff housing.
>I have no tool which will fit in the odd recessed square hole.  What
>do I buy?  And where can I get it?

    Using a standard 3/8" inch wrench with an adapter for 1/2" drive
    sockets works like a champ on Midgets.  The adapter is a square
    gizmo, and it fits the square hole in the fill/drain plugs
    perfectly.  The other good news is that you can put the adapter
    on the end of an extension to keep your wrench (and hand) away
    from the oil that tends to spurt out when removing a drain plug.

    The transmission fill plug is identical, at least on my Midget.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a thousand
words, it follows that Websites and Fax Machines are the ultimate weapons.

 james fischer                       jfischer@supercollider.com