Re: differential draining and refilling

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: differential draining and refilling
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:43:48 -0600 (CST)
On 15 Jan 1996, A. B. Bonds wrote:

> In <199601151447.JAA07193@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>, Matt Liggett wrote:
> >I have no tool which will fit in the odd recessed square hole.  What
> >do I buy?  And where can I get it?
>
> Go to K-Mart or your favourite Chinese tool store and get a short 1/2"
> socket extension.  Take it into your shop and grind a little off each
> side of the male end (ouch!).  Season to taste.

Ouch, indeed.  If you would rather not do something so drastic, go to a
real hardware store and they will have square keys for perhaps less than
the price of a cheap short 1/2" extension (if such a thing can be found;
that stuff is usually sold in sets, as the price of packaging probably
dominates).  What I got was a piece of steel 7/16"x7/16"x2".  You stick
it in the hole, put a wrench on it and there ya go.  Just measure and see
what size you need.  Most American cars I've worked on had 1/2" keyed
plugs, so you could just use a 1/2" drive ratchet.

Kevin