Re: Tow Bar

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Bar
From: mgb72@airmail.net (Chad Cooper)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:48:28 -0600 (CST)
>Hi
>
>This is the third time I have posted this.  I think it got lost the first
>two times.
>
>If I  remove the front rubber bumper from my 80B, can I attach a tow bar
>to the bracketss on the car - are they strong enough for this task?  does
>anyone have a recommended tow bar type or plans to build one?
>
>Of course i will disconnect and tie up the drive shaft - do i have to tie
>down the steering wheel?
>
>thanks
>
>--
>prsmith@satcom.whit.org

I have a bar that I built for my '72.  All you do is come out from the two
places on the frame where the bumper attaches.  For mine I used 2" X
3/8"thick steel strap for the mounts, I cut 2 holes  on each side that
allowed for the use of the 4 bolts that hold the bumper on.  From the steel
strap I welded in a cross piece of 1&1/2" to 2" square steel tubing (this
piece is parallel to the front of the car. From here 2 pieces of the same
square tubing  welded at an angle to meet at the end.  For the hitch I went
to U-Haul and found one that would fit the 2" ball that was going to be on
the towing car.
WARNING:  YOU DO NOT TIE THE WHEEL OFF WHEN TOWING WITH A BAR
THE ROOM BETWEEN THE CARS IS SO SHORT THAT WHEN TURNING YOU END UP DRAGGING
THE FRONT WHEELS OF THE  B  THROUGH THE TURN.  PUT THE KEY IN THE CAR ON
ACC. AND LET THE WHEEL BE FREE.

Disconnecting the driveline is not Nec. either the only thing that turns
while in neutral has plenty of oil to keep it cool and lubed inside the tranny.

Incedentally I towed my 72 B this way from Tacoma Washington to Dallas Texas
Trouble Free.
hope this helps...