Re: TD SU Carb Overflow Pipes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD SU Carb Overflow Pipes
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 00:29:49 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> The DPO removed the carb overflow pipes on my TD. I ordered a new set from
> Abingdon Spares. My question is how are these pipes connected to the carbs?
> Are they soldered? I assume the pipes are copper and the fittings they attach
> to are brass. These would readily take solder. Also, how are they routed
> and held in place? Is there any reference material with a good picture? If one
> of the float needles ever sticks, I would prefer the gas to spill on ground
> rather than the exhaust manifold! Thanks in advance.

The carb end of each overflow pipe has a banjo fitting which fits under
the float chamber lid bolt.  If the DPO who removed the old pipes also
replaced the float chamber lid bolts with shorter ones not designed to
accommodate the banjo fittings, they you will have to order new bolts as
well.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.