Re: 12A185 cylinder heads

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 12A185 cylinder heads
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 20:18:07 -1000
        Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:40:25 -0500 (EST)
        From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
        Subject: Help: 1275 Head Specs

        Last May I bought this head for a series 'A' engine that said:

                159
                MOWOG
                12A185
                W90
                (or 06M?)

According to the Mini Spares (UK) catalogue, this is

1.401" Inlet, 1.218" Exhaust, 21.4cc of Mk1 Cooper S

Yes you can use this on your midget no probs. There is one for sale
locally for A$75, which is about US$55. Not a whole lot of money.

        I took a measurement and found:

                Intake: 1.175", Exhaust: 1", color: blue

Hmm. All I can suggest is that someone may have added hardened seats
to this head and had the valve seats cut smaller than the original
(the hardened seats allow a fair bit of size variation -- you have to
cut them to size anyhow).

Why? Well because the Mk1 Cooper S heads had a reputation for cracking
(which is why it is cheap!). Most people building high performance
heads do not use the 1.2" exhaust valves for this reason (not enough
metal between the valves). This may mean this head was cracked at some
stage. Get it crack tested before you use it...

The sizes you measure are very small for the 1275. More suited to a
948 or 1100. A good road 1275 would have the standard 12G940 casting
which uses 1.401"/1.156"/21.4cc (same as 12G1805)

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au