Another B

To: mg netters <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another B
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Date: 17 Feb 96 06:22:55 EST
Hi fellow mg netters,

I'm thinking of increasing my B collection, especially seeing many of you with
multiple cars.  I have a '68 but I long for the metal dash.  I looked at a car
advertised as a '65, but by looking at numbers, it was really a '64 with a '71
engine.  It's been out of service for 7 years since the current owner pulled out
the dash to replace some wiring, and never put it back.  It's up on blocks with
the wheels off, a dent in the right front fender, paint chipping off the bonnet,
and an awful metallic red color.  Rust here and there, but I didn't find any
major structural damage - bubbling on the sills, a few holes in the floor pans,
the steel bonnet was eaten up at the front edge in the lip which must have held
water - surface rust on the wheel splines / brakes / suspension. Chrome looks
good.  It's a southern Louisiana car, so no road salt, but plenty of heat and
moisture.  Seats were OK, but the rest of the interior needed a redo, and the
hood was trashed.  I imagine the brakes / clutch hydraulics need a complete
rebuild / replacement.  I would replace the homemade stainless steel gas tank.

In '94, I bought for $500 and salvaged a much nicer looking '68 that needed a
battery, driver's window, fuel pump, and distributor 180 degree swap (easiere
than I thought it would be - DPO knew very little about cars, relied on
mechanics, and didn't know why it wasn't running), but this one is in much worse
shape.  I sold the spare '68, but I would probably keep the '64 for the metal
dash.

So here are a few questions.  I'm wondering, if I get up the courage to rescue
this one, does it sound worthwhile for the work / money / time required to make
it look nice and get it on the road.  It's already so unoriginal that it would
never make a show car, so I'd just make it a driver.  It seems the purchase
price is relatively irrelevant, I could probably get it for about $500, but lots
of effort to get it running again.  Is it likely that the engine is frozen up
after sitting for 7 years ?  Is it possible that the original 3 synchro
transmission is bolted up to the '71 engine, and how could I tell ?  Seems like
there are driveable cars around for $1500 or so, makes it hard to take a gamble
on one like this.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick 'crazy about lost and forgotten B's' Huber
'68 roadster daily driver