Re: Brake Problems - Fix it, or don't drive!!!

To: James Fischer <jfischer@supercollider.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Problems - Fix it, or don't drive!!!
From: Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:06:14 -0500 (EST)
        Most of what I have read lately regarding a firm brake pedal
sounds like a classic case of badly adjusted rear shoes, at least on the
MGBs out there.  If teh rear shoes are not adjusted properly you will
have to pump the brakes one time before getting a firm pedal.

        Interestingly, attempting to bleed the brakes will have no effect
on teh pedal feel until the rear shoes are adjusted.

        Adjusting the rear shoes is done by raising the rear, removing
the wheels and turning the brake adjusting square end bolt until the rear
wheels will no longer turn.  Then back the adjuster off one notch.  If
you have bled thebrakes you should now have a firm pedal from the start.

        Note that if you have adjusted the emergency brake cable in the
past to take up slack in the rear brakes you may have to loosen it before
you adjust the shoes.

        Anyway, I thought this was all pretty obvious and well known so
forgive me if I am repeating material.

        Rob in Columbia
        72 MGB