Re: Brake Problems - Fix it, or don't drive!!!

To: jfischer@supercollider.com
Subject: Re: Brake Problems - Fix it, or don't drive!!!
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 10:18:35 -0500
James Fischer wrote:

>    This is NOT "working" at all, since one can encounter situations
>    where the first pump on the brakes is the only chance you get to
>    avoid a collision, a ditch, whatever.  This is BROKEN!!!

I realize this.  That's why the car hasn't been more than a few miles from
home in the four months I've owned it and why it will stay on jackstands
until it's fixed.

>    Air.  Clearly air.  The first pump compresses the air, the second
>    operates the brakes.  Subsequent pumps within a short period are
>    "good", but if you wait a bit, you must start the cycle over again.
>    There is air, Air, AIR in the system!!!!!
>
>    Get it out.  Bleed an entire bottle of brake fluid through the
>    system just to be sure.  Keep going until you see brand new,
>    clean fluid, and nothing BUT brand new clean fluid.  Get one
>    of those fancy plastic bottles with the tube attached and the
>    one-way valve, or at least the tube with one-way valve.

I've bled 3 bottles of brake fluid through the system, but I did it the
old-fashion way with my wife, freezing and not so happily, pumping the pedal
and me on the bleed screws.  I ordered one of the vacuum pump bleeding kits
and will try that next.  I'm waiting for new seals for the front calipers,
new hoses, new rotors, new wheel bearings (might as well change them while I
have the hubs pulled), and lots more brake fluid.  We'll see how it goes.

Much info snipped...

Rest assured James, I'm neither homicidal nor suicidal.

Keith Baer