RE: MGB information quest

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB information quest
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 14:33:00 -0800 (PST)

 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs@autox.team.net
Cc: british cars
Subject: MGB information quest
Date: Thursday,February 29,1996 4:00PM

        I am in the midst of an engine rebuild and would like to hear
from anyone that has done the 2 liter rebuild.  Pros, cons, etc.  Also
what sort of power does this rebuild make with a mild street cam?  I have
heard 140 h.p., could this be true?  Any idea what the compression ratio
is for a 2 liter kit?
*** Haven't done it but this is what I've heard... Possible problems. When
you bore out your block you may find imperfections which will make it a poor
candidate for conversion. Siamesed cylinders may cause overheating or
failure. I did a lot of performance mods to my engine. I am no expert but
and I can tell you that even if you got 140 HP out of it, it would be
cheaper and easier to transpant a stock toyota 2.0 or 2.2 which you will be
able to get parts for and count on in terms of reliability. You would be
pushing the absolute max HP out of a 1960 techology engine. When you make
these changes you have to match every other part of the system to work well
togather. Carbs distributor curving, cam choice etc. all have to be matched.
That can be a real pain and very expensive.
        Also, I was looking at a cylinder head off a 69 B that I no
longer have and saw that there are two valve springs on each valve.  One
little one inside the bigger one.  Is this typical?  I don't remember
what my other B's have had and thought this looked unusual.  Does it have
something to do with the cam change in 1972?
*** The double springs were used with the older cams. Late model Bs had
sincle spring. Generally, most modefied cams use double coil springs. You
must match the springs to the cam.
        Finally, has anyone dealt with Brit-Tek?  They have very
reasonable prices on rebuild kits, including a performance cam of your
choice.  Interior kits are also much less than Moss or V.B.  Finally,
they claim to honor a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.

Rob Rhodes                              Columbia, S.C.
72 B