Definition of "Sports Car"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Definition of "Sports Car"
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 96 23:04 EST
Hey guys, help me settle an on going argument with my friends at work. What
exactly is a sports car? Is the European definition different from the
American one?

I always thought a sports car should meet the following criteria:

        1. Positively must not have a back seat.
        2. Must be low to the ground. (leaves out small sport-utilities)
        3. Must have better than average handling.
        4. Must have a manual transmission.

Can a true sports car have a hard top? front wheel drive? power steering?
I hear some hardcore Brits won't even allow heaters or wind-up windows.
Let the debate begin.

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration