Re: Tires for B's

To: "Sluis, John" <jsluis@iastate.edu>
Subject: Re: Tires for B's
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:05:55 +0500
At 10:34 AM 3/11/96 CST, Sluis, John wrote:
>At this point, I've found
>two sources for this tire size, this being Coker tire selling Michelins ($98
>ea.)and a company in California selling Avons in this size.

IMHO, the Michelin XZX is a lousy tire.  In particular, they really stink in
the wet.  Definitely not worth $100 a pop.

No kloo about availability of Dunlops or Pirelli.  I haven't seen them
around in a 165SR14 for years.  Of course, I haven't been actively looking
for them.

The Avon Turbosteel is an excellent tire, and an excellent value.  Better
than Michelin (subjective judgement), and 30% cheaper.  Only other tire I've
bought at that price was some off-brand (Tribune?) that were positively
*dreadful*.  No grip at all, spun wheels on dry pavement (don't even ask
about wet) and lasted less than two years.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html