Re: Tires for B's

To: "Sluis, John" <jsluis@iastate.edu>, "'MGs'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tires for B's
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:40:14 -0700
If you want Dunlop SP4's I'm not sure you can get them, but you can probably
get the proper size SP6's from Universal Tire Co, but they are $127 a piece.
 The Avons are $72.  Their number is 800 233-3827.  You should be able to
get either from Lucas Tire too (800 952-4333 or 310 595-6721).  I have the
Michelins, and I think they are great in the dry.  They are the worst thing
made in the wet, but now that I live where I do (desert Idaho, less than 8"
of rain a year) I will be quite content with the XZX's.  Oh, the tire rack
(800 428-8355), they show Dunlop SP4's in a 175 SR 14 for $39.  Pirelli
P2000's (tire rack also) come in a 165/65TR-14 at $54 from the tire rack,
but I am not sure how that 65 aspect ratio correlates to the sidewall height
on the B tire.

Good Luck

>I'm looking to find replacement tires for my MGB.  I live in central Iowa
>and haven't found any stores that carry the origional  type tires.  It
>appears my 80B came with Dunlop SP4's 165SR14 . At this point, I've found
>two sources for this tire size, this being Coker tire selling Michelins ($98
>ea.)and a company in California selling Avons in this size.
>
>Is there anyone with the Dunlops available?
>
>Is there a less expensive source for Michelins?
>
>Is there a Pirelli tire in this size?

Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C