Re: Fuel Tank Leakage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Leakage
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 12 Mar 1996 13:00:58 -0600
In <9603121620.AA04218@sunup.Central.Sun.COM>, Tom Wagner - Program Manager
wrote:

>I have 67B, that is leaking gas at the sending unit of
>the fuel tank.  I have removed the unit 2 times
>and found that the gasket has some cracks in it, but it
>has been removed before.  Is this a normal
>spot to look for problems, and if the general consensus
>is that it is bad, is Moss the only place to get the
>gasket or will one from an auto parts store work???

You can use generic cork/rubber gasketing but will have to cut it to
fit.  Something of a pain, but do-able.  IMPORTANT!!! (Reason for post
to the group....)  DO NOT use any kind of RTV (rubber) sealant in this
or any application involving continuous exposure to gasoline.  Neither
will Hylomar majick Eurogasket stuff work (even though it says it
will).  The ONLY stuff I have found to make a reasonable seal is good
ol' Permatex #2.  It does not swell or dissolve in gasoline.  From
what I can tell, it does not dissolve in anything (ever try to get it
off your hands?)  (Well, yes, I know about alcohol.)  There is a
possibility that gasohol can perturb Permatex #2, but I cannot say yea
or nay.

>I have seen reference to a place called "Vicky B",
>but don't know where this place is or how to contact
>them.  Would be nice for a cheaper place to contact than
>Moss.

This is Victoria British in Lenaxa, KS.  See the Monster Vendor List
for details.  They are sometimes cheaper (especially with sales)
sometimes more expensive, but on average slightly lower quality than
Moss, which itself wins no prizes....
                A. B. Bonds