Insulting everyone

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Insulting everyone
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 15:43:14 PST
Corey replied:

> Brit is about as insulting as Yank.  I think it's the spirit of it.

I'd be happy to have all 'Muricans called Yanks because "American" actually
means everyone on the American continents, north and south.  But some
southerners would probably object because "Yankee" is what they called the
enemy in the U.S. Civil War.

> Limey is another matter; it comes from the 18th century British navy, where
> common sailors were often referred to as limeys because of the quantity of
> lime juice they drank to ward off scurvy.  It's a derogatory term from that
> period, and it's stuck for some reason. I think it was actually the Yanks who
> coined this one, though I'm not positive. It's insulting, but something along
> the lines of calling one of your brethren from South of the Border a greaser
> or a wetback.

"Wetbacks" are the ones who are up here.  For some reason it means an illegal
alien.  "Greaser" is a definite faux pas.  Okay, I'll stop calling England
"Limeyland."

> I understand that in return, they refer to you as Anglos,
> though I'm not certain how insulting that is ;)

I don't think that's meant to be an insult at all.  But then, you can call
me a chick or even a girl and I won't be offended.

> As an aside, the Brits'
> version of a similar insult for us Irishmen is usually Paddy.
>
> I'm not too certain how seriously anyone takes these epithets these days;
> I've certainly never (well, not recently, anyway) punched anyone out for
> calling me a Paddy or a Mick.

LBC CONTENT!!!!!
Octagon Sports Car Centre (sic) here in San Diego was originally owned by
a Phillipino and an Irish-American.  They said they almost called the
place "Flip and Mick's."

John Peloquin said about "Anglo:"

> Oh, that's pretty insulting! As for insulting Englishmen, referring to
> our British friends as "Tea Bags" is usually sufficient to start a fight.

I wasn't looking for ways to insult Englishmen (or women) or start any fights,
but all these national insults are pretty amusing.

Mike Gigante added "whinging pommies."  I can just imagine an Aussie (insult?)
muttering that under his/her breath.  Here in the states, constant complaining
is called "whining."  I wonder if they're pronounced the same.

So what horrible things are 'Muricans called in other parts of the world? she
asked with trepidation.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com