Re: Insulting everyone

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Subject: Re: Insulting everyone
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 09:05:43 GMT
Denise wrote:

>So what horrible things are 'Muricans called in other parts of the world? she
>asked with trepidation.

Be prepared for this: NOT being called an American can ALSO be an insult!

I got almost into a fight one night in Buenos Aires (South America)  sitting
on one of the many squares in that city during a hot summer night.
I was chatting (in Spanish)  to the (totally unknown to me) guy next to me
as is not unusual  in those parts of the world where gathering
around a television set is  _not_  considered to be the cultural highlight
of the day.

I really can't recall what we were discussing that night.
Definitely nothing of an important nature [ I hardly sighted LBC's in
Argentina..  ;-)  ]
But at one point I mentioned that I once met an American guy  ....
(I meant to say that he was from the USA) and I got almost beaten up,
because the guy sitting next to me found this very insulting,
after all, _he_  was an American too!

Bert
Holland, Europe

Bert Palte                                       "Elysium" Alumnivereniging
Roggeveld 25                                Universiteit Twente
3764 ZB Soest                              Faculteit Elektrotechniek
tel.  035 602 3949 (thuis)             EL/TN 8223
tel.  035 601 3816 (werk)             Postbus 217
                                                        7500 AE Enschede
<palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>