Re: removing dash

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: removing dash
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:43:21 CST
Will is exactly correct.  That's how my 67 dash instruments are also
mounted.  Be very careful with that oil/water guage.  It's very
expensive to repair/replace.

> Date sent:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:17:55 -0500
> To:             Paul <schwerdt@isns1.shasta.com>
> From:           wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
> Subject:        Re: removing dash
> Copies to:      mgs@autox.team.net
> Send reply to:  wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)

> >I can't get the
> >sending unit off the gauge,
>
> HOLD THE PHONE!  If it's a '64 then you're talking about the dual needle
> gauge with oil preasure and water temperature (one of the finest gauges
> known to man, next to the oxygen tank stirring gauge on the Apollo space
> craft).  There isn't any way to remove the sending unit from the gauge
> (short of destroying it)!  You will have to remove the bulb from the head
> and thread it out of the firewall hole.  You will destroy the unit if you
> force it off at the gauge back.  The temp unit operates on an anti-deluvian
> technology involving the expansion and vaporization of an organic solvent
> (ether?) with increasing heat, actuating the temp. needle by increased
>preasure.
>
> Only the oil preasure line can be detached from the gauge back.
>
> I'm proud to say that on your '64 (and my '63) the only electrical gauge is
> the fuel gauge (and that is the least accurate)!
>

> >and I have no clue how to go about removing the
> >choke nob, or whatever is needed to get it seperated from the dash.
>
> As I recall, there should be a hex nut on the back side of the choke nob,
> pinching it onto the dash from the dash's rear side.  You will have to
> detach the choke cable from the carbs and thred the cable and cable housing
> out of the fire wall and then out the front of the dash.
>
> Will Zehring

Bill Olson
Arkansas State University

67 mineral blue MGBGT  (saphire)  searching for an overdrive
68 red MGB Roadster  (ruby)  (sold)
72 mallard green MGB Roadster w/overdrive  (emerald (emmy))
95 plumb mist Ford Crown Victoria w/engine and suspension package -
   my winston cup car (winny)
92 dirty Nissan Stanza (wife's car (no name)) but a great woman
   who owned and drove a new MGA (with no name) when she was in
   college several (yeh, several for sure) years ago