Re: Clunker Laws

To: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: Clunker Laws
From: Ernest Gilbert <lawref@lawref.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 09:25:08 -0700
patrick bailey wrote:

> I JUST have put my $.02 worth in!IF we have to have laws ,how about the total
>amount in a year?Say you have a
> new car but commute 50-60 miles a day are you not putting a lot more
>pollutants into the air than someone with
> a LBC that is only driven on weekends or less? How about a newer car that
>isn't tuned up until it starts

The politicians have it backwards. They keep building more freeways and
improving the older ones to carry more traffic further. That is the
problem. In fact the first freeway started the problem. If a freeway had
never been built commuting would be limited in distance or confined to
mass transit options. Industry and population centers would spread out
and community sizes would decrease. Both quality of air and life would
be better. And so would LBC driving.

A vote against freeway funding will shift attention to other solutions
and the auto will be diminished as a source of polution.

Ernest (trying to live in the past) Gilbert
barrister@lawref.com