RE: Transmission Questions

To: ALESiegel@aol.com
Subject: RE: Transmission Questions
From: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 14:51:20 -0700
----------
From:   ALESiegel@aol.com
Sent:   Monday, April 22, 1996 19:44 PM
To:     mgs@autox.team.net
Subject:        Transmission Questions

On a 1977 MGB, non-o/d, I was stopped at a traffic light. When I tried to
shift into gear it was difficult to shift. It did go into gear, and seems to
shift well. The only change is that the gearshift lever has more play in it
in all gears. Any ideas about the trouble? If there is something broken in
the gear selector mechanism, does the gearbox need to be removed to fix it?
Is there any danger in driving as is? On this first warm day in Boston, who
needs a problem like this?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Alan Siegel
1977 MGB

On the ball shaped bottom end of the gearshift lever is a small plastic sleeve
which slips into the hole in the extension. Sort of a universal ball joint
bearing. This sometimes slips out and falls harmlessly to the bottom of the
housing. The result is play in the ball joint and therefore a noticeable
difference in shifting feel.

This may be your problem. It can be replaced by removing the tunnel cover and
the tower the shift lever fits into from inside the car. I found three in the
bottom of one tranni I tore down, and have a '68 with it missing for several
years. But I do miss the feel when I drive that one.

Ernest
barrister@lawref.com