Re: MGB Clutch slave travel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch slave travel
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:16:30 +0100
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 12:20:46 -0400, R. Johnson wrote:

>To all,

>Looking for some net wisdom on MGB clutch slave travel. Do any of
>the original shop manuals (or other sources) have the EXACXT TRAVEL
>that the slave cylinder should deliver for proper clutch operation.

>I am very confident I have all air out of the system. The clutch is
>still very slightly engaged when the peddle is fully depressed. This
>is noticable when shifting into reverse and 1st.

>I am trying to determine if the problem is in the actual clutch
>(maybe a slightly bent fork) or a little less than adequate travel
>being applied by the master / slave system.

I have the same problem, but I think it is maybe common to the type
of gearbox you use. You don't tell which year your B is. I have a 3
synchro gearbox, so the first and reverse gear are not synchronized
and if you shift quickly into those gears you'll hear a clunking
sound - not if you do it gently.

If you still think that your pedal travel is not enough I would check
your clutch pedal. The hole in which the clevis pin sits driving the
clutch master cylinder tends to oval quite a bit (I had to weld
material back and redrill the hole) and causes a lot of play. Also
the clevis pin themselves are prone to wear - on both sides, master
and slave.

Bert Otten
'67 B