Re: deep philosophical questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: deep philosophical questions
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 13:23:16 +0600
Wow.  Something sure went squirrelly with the MG list server.  I've been
seeing followups for two days now, and only just received the original.

Will Zehring wrote:
>(long standing members of
>"british-cars" will recognize this as either Fisher's Law or as Wakeman's
>Law).  That is, you get half the restoration done in the first time period,
>a quarter done in the next time period, an eight done in the next time
>period, etc.

Sounds suspiciously similar to Zeno's Arrow.

Before an object can travel a distance, it must first travel half that
distance.  Then half that remainder, and so on without limit.  An arrow
released from a bow will never reach its target.

Astute philosophical-minded folks will observe that it can be argued in the
other direction too.  Before travelling half a distance, an object must
travel half of that half, and so on.  The arrow can never even begin its
journey.

>My question is: When do you delcare that the restoration is finally done?

I say the better question is:  How can you be certain you've even
started the restoration?
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu