Accelerator cable woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Accelerator cable woes
From: fickes@apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 08:44:20 -0700
Hi all...
Saturday as I headed home from my weekend job, I heard a sharp pop, and at
the same time the engine went to idle and the loud pedal dropped to the
floor.  Of course, that's when I remembered that my accelerator cable had
been looking rather frayed two months earlier and needed replacing.  Darn
leaky memory...

I had heard once before of someone in a similar situation who used the
choke to limp the car along.  My improvement on the idea was this -- I
turned the cold idle screw in until the engine was running at 2000 RPM with
the choke pushed in.  This gave me better than 4000 RPM before the mixture
enrichening started.  Now the car was driveable, though there was very
little acceleration and I had a top speed of 35 MPH level.  The trip back
to work (British Car parts place) was made using the choke as a binary
throttle; push in at lights to 'idle' at 2000, pull out to drive.

15 minutes after arriving back at work, I had a new cable installed and was
on my way.  Of course, if I had a functioning memory...

Moral 1 -- Fix it when you first notice a problem!
Moral 2 -- Now you too can drive a car with no loud pedal...

Cheers!  sf

Stan Fickes             '25 MG Super Sports 14/28
Wireless Communications '51 MGTD, under restoration
Apple Computer, Inc.    '65 Austin-Healey Sprite, daily driver
(408) 974-7653          '57 Chev Bel Air StWgn (seats 6!)
http://www.foundations.com/fickes/home.html