Re: Accelerator cable woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Accelerator cable woes
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Wed, 8 May 96 10:34:15 PDT
Tim Moses suggested:

> Thanks for the suggestion on how to run an MG using the idle speed and choke.
>
> My suggestion is SHOELACES.
>
> I had a Renault something or other (but not Le Car) several years ago and
> was heading home on an interstate when the same thing happened.  I just took
> the shoelaces out of my tennis shoes and tied one end to the attachment for
> the accelerator cable.  Then i pulled it through the little air vent by the
> windshield and into the air vent of the drivers door.  Tied it off when I
> reached cruising speed (~60 mph) and cruised on home.
>
> Maybe we should keep a spare cable on hand???

That reminds me of the pantyhose trick.  If your fan belt ever breaks out in
the middle of nowhere, you're set if you're wearing pantyhose.  Just tie one
leg of the pantyhose (after removing them) around the pulleys and cut off any
excess.  This will last long enough to get you to somewhere that has new fan
belts.  At least that's what I've been told.

Denise Thorpe, wearing spare fan belts at this very moment
thorpe@kegs.saic.com