Re: MOWOG

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: MOWOG
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 11:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 7 May 1996, Denise Thorpe wrote:

> Having worked in the wrenching biz I can tell you that he may have been
> testing you for a sense of humor and/or gullibility.  The classic test is
> telling the customer that their muffler bearings are bad.  You should go
> back and tell him that he's completely full of sh*t and then he'll have
> infinite respect for you and maybe even buy you a beer.  And then there's

Yeah, he (or she) will buy you a beer.  Of course, there's the off chance
he or she will bean you with a hammer.

Denise's example does remind me of a friend who has many, many cars, one
of which is a VW bug.  It began to run badly, and he took it to a local
service station that specializes in VW repair.  There, he was told with a
very straight face that the mechanic could not be sure until he tore the
engine down, but he suspected someone had installed the camshaft backward.

My friend, who was himself a mechanic once, pointed out that the engine
had run beautifully for two years.  The mechanic's response was, "Well,
you were lucky."

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910