RE: New Jag

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New Jag
From: Stephen Brook <em92ssb@brunel.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 15:48:21 BST
> >Unfortunately, Ford own both Jaguar and Aston Martin.  The engine in both
> >the new models are made in the Ford plant in Bridgend in Wales and I
> >believe that they are very similar, if not identical to each other.  As the
> >Aston Martin is heavier, due to the extras, I believe that its performance
> >is less than the Jag's.

Not all true. The Aston Martin DB7 and the Jaguar XJR both use the same
twin supercharged 6 cylinder engine; the DB7 uses a different engine management
system and higher boost pressure to produce more power. Neither of these
engines is made at Bridgend. The Aston does 0-60 in 5.6 and tops out at
165mph (140mph is a realistic best on public roads - I've been there). The
figures
for the Jag are 0-60 in 5.9 and top speed of 155. The Jag and Aston are
very different cars; I notice that the Ford web pages call Jaguars the most
luxurious cars in the world - they obviously haven't been in an Aston.

The engine for the new Jaguar XK8 is the new V8 which IS made at Bridgend.

Last of my Aston/Jag postings. Honest.

Stephen Brook
Brunel University
London