RE: car runs on one cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net, wesgrady@csbh.mhv.net
Subject: RE: car runs on one cylinder
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 14:16:06 -0400
> From wesgrady@csbh.mhv.net Thu May 16 16:22 EDT 1996
>
> I doubt that you could get an engine to diesel from cold.  If the engine =
> were running and were hot, and turned off, it might continue to run on, =
> which many people call dieseling, but is really nothing more than =
> pre-ignition. <<I'm not an engineer, so if I used the wrong terms, or =
> spelled it incorrectly, it ain't my fault!>>

It certainly isn't MY fault that you are not an engineer. :^)

In the strict sense diesel engines compress the air to a point that
fuel is ignited WHEN it is injected. So this isn't quite the definition
since the fuel is already present when compression starts. It is not
however pre-ignition since the ignition is off. Model airplane engines
and such compress an air/fuel mixture until compustion occurs. Is that
a what a two-stroke diesel is classified as??

I've gotten my engine to diesel from a cold start every morining for
the past 6 years. But then again, it is a diesel.

- -Mark