Re: Batteries

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Batteries
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 23 May 1996 17:29:47 -0500
In <Pine.SUN.3.91.960523095536.4507B-100000@crl10.crl.com>, Marc Steinberg
wrote:

>I seem to be the proud owner of two dead-as-a-doornail 6volt batteries.
>
>The local MG shop tells me that I should replace them with two new
>6volters (cost, $62.95 apiece) rather than a _much_ cheaper 12volt.
>Why?  Allegedly, because the amperage is higher with the 6volters "...and
>with those early cars, you need it!" and, less convincingly, "...because
>that's what came on the car."
>
>Anybody care to opine?  I sure would like to go with the single 12volt
>unless there really is a good functional reason to stay with the little guys.

Horse-hockey.  Double horse-hockey.  The original capacity of the two
six-volters was about half of what a modern 12-volter of half the
volume can deliver.

Go to K-mart and get an Exide (International series, I believe) for
about $40. You have to take off the fake bottom and cut the bottom
ear-like projections off (with a hacksaw, takes about a minute), then
it fits in a single compartment like a glove.  It's a tad taller, make
sure the connectors don't touch the compartment lid.

(A well-known consumer magazine that doesn't like to be quoted liked
the Exides in their last review.....)
                                A. B. Bonds