Re: towing

To: rwbmg@voyager.net
Subject: Re: towing
From: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 00:58:27 -1000
>1.  Can an MG be towed on a car dolly?  Would the rear end be on the dolly?
Have to get an answer on this part from someone else more knowledgable.
I towed my Midget home with a dolly, front end on the dolly, rear end on
the ground.  If it were me doing this for more than a few hundred miles, or
doing it very often then I'd suggest disconnecting the driveshaft from the
differential.

>2.  I have found a 12 ft and a 16 ft aluminum trailer with double axle and
>surge brakes.  Any experiences trailering a B?  How stable would the trailer
>be behind a 30 foot vehicle?  Does the length of the trailer make any
>difference?

Stability comes down to how the tow vehicle is set up, how the trailer is
connected, and how the trailer load (the car) is positioned on the trailer.
I tow-bar towed a Jeep behind a pickup from Seattle to Sacramento (850
miles) and only noticed it on the uphills, otherwise I barely knew it was
there.  I towed a Honda Civic on a 14' tandem-axle trailer behind the same
pickup, and again barely knew it was there except when going up and down
hills.
My BIG bugaboo about car trailers is to suggest getting electric brakes for
the trailer and an electronic actuator in the tow vehicle.  If the trailer
starts to get out of hand you can just reach down and nudge the trailer
brakes without using the tow vehicle's brakes to settle things down.  Surge
brakes are a bear, I don't like them when trying to back up, I don't like
them when on slick or wet roads, I don't like surge brakes on dirt or
gravel roads.  Can you tell I don't like surge brakes?
One last note, some states in the U.S. seem to require trailer brakes on
both axles, some don't.  Just something to consider.

Mike (no surge) Jaquet