Re: towing

To: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Subject: Re: towing
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 10:12:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 27 May 1996, MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM wrote:

> My BIG bugaboo about car trailers is to suggest getting electric brakes for
> the trailer and an electronic actuator in the tow vehicle.  If the trailer
> starts to get out of hand you can just reach down and nudge the trailer
> brakes without using the tow vehicle's brakes to settle things down.  Surge
> brakes are a bear, I don't like them when trying to back up, I don't like
> them when on slick or wet roads, I don't like surge brakes on dirt or
> gravel roads.  Can you tell I don't like surge brakes?
> One last note, some states in the U.S. seem to require trailer brakes on
> both axles, some don't.  Just something to consider.

I'll second that!  IMNSHO BritCars are made to be driven, not towed <oops,
where did I leave my asbesatos suit?>, but I do tow horse trailors of
various sizes behind a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500HD pickup.  Surge brakes make
sense in theory and some people swear by them, but in practice an
electronic controller actuated by the brake light switch provides better
control and is a lot easier to live with.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.