OD vacuum question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD vacuum question
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 08:03:31 -0400
Fellow fiends:

This one is for folks with experience on the early OD set up.

Not that my unit is operating improperly, but...  The vacuum set up I have
is a short rubber tube connecting the vacuum switch to the intake manifold.
I've noticed that the switch clicks quite loudly and at a reletively high
frequencey, such that you might expect a rocker arm noise, linked to a low
manifold vacuum.  I say "clicks" but I don't mean to imply that it is
opening/closing electrically, just that it makes a noise.  Again; there is
no *problem* with the overall performance of the set up, but the clicking is
loud and drives me a bit batty.  In fact, its quite loud in the car interior
(as the switch is mounted on the fire wall).

Because the switch is marginally necessary, I've disconnected the vacuum,
sealed the intake manifold, and driven sans the loud clicking.  No problems
w/the OD engaging or disengaging.  I'm careful about it and use the clutch.
The ticking is, as expected, gone.  Any net experience w/this?  I am happy
to conceed that my expensive and now probably unobtainable vacuum switch is
slightly deffective, and I'll drive on without its help.  Or... is there
something to be done?  I mean: the '60 A I used to own had that unusual
metal vacuum pipe to the distributor, with its large bulb.  Is that to
moderate the short term variations in vacuum?  Should I remount the OD
vacuum line with such a bulb spliced in the line?  Does anyone know what I'm
talking about here?  Does an MG owner, asking a question in the woods, make
any sense?

Can I go home now?

Will Zehring