Hey la, hey la, my bootlid's bent

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hey la, hey la, my bootlid's bent
From: Dennis & Stephanie Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 21:11:59 -0500 (CDT)
Made the rounds of the local bodyshops Friday, hoping to get some idea as to
what could be done for a bent bootlid. I was not encouraged.
Body Shop #1: Can't do anything for it.
BS #2: Well, here's your problem. You got a bent lid! Looky here, your
panel's seperated from its supports!
BS #3: I'd get a new one, if I were you.
I've got a replacement from an earlier car. I put it on, and it's got the
same problem: a hump/gap about midway down the left side. It occured to me
that with a 23-year-old car that at some point somebody didn't realize that
closing the boot takes two hands, and this hump/gap is the logical
consequence. Is this a common problem on B's, and is there some "approved
methodology" of removing it?  I understand during the building of the
original bodies(and the Heritage shells as well) that the workers were quite
adept at making the panels fit...with prybars!
Question #2: What do you folks in small towns, far from any expertise in
LBC's do when you can't find a repairperson who knows what he/she is doing?

Thanks
Dennis "75 miles from anywhere" Littrell
'73 B Roadster "Shirley Valentine"