Re: Hey la, hey la, my bootlid's bent

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Hey la, hey la, my bootlid's bent
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:03:56 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Dennis & Stephanie Littrell wrote:
> > Question #2: What do you folks in small towns, far from any expertise in
> > LBC's do when you can't find a repairperson who knows what he/she is doing?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dennis "75 miles from anywhere" Littrell
> > '73 B Roadster "Shirley Valentine"
>
> I live in a big city with plenty of people who claim expertise with LBCs.
>
> ...they won't touch my car if I can help it.
>
> DIY-Ulix
>
>                      __/__,__         ________/____,,_______
> ................... (_o____o_) ..... (___ O _________ O ___/ ..............
>                     '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy

In the rural areas, repair people almost always will let you know that
they do not know and cannot repair an LBC. The solution is to do most of
the work yourself and use mailorder for parts. Sometimes a local shop can
handle basic repairs.

In one case, I had a local Wyoming shop repair my overdrive unit on my 71BGT
after I
ordered all the parts. I also provided him with my trusty Haynes manual
for guidance. It was quite  a learning experience for both of us -
he learned English transmissions, and he showed me how American units worked.

When I rebuilt my SU carbs, the local Utah machine shop could not install
the throttle shafts and bearings for me (they did the head though - a
more basic job). However, the parts supplier, the Roadster Factory,
referred me to a shop in Arizona. I mailed the carbs there
to handle the machine work, and they
did a great job at a very reasonable price.

In a small town, you have to improvise. But the locals were always amazed
at the availability of LBC parts. In fact when I lived in Price, Utah, I
found MG parts were far easier to obtain than Ford parts for the new
company pickup trucks.

Now living in the big city (pop. 80000) -

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net