Electronic Ignition, fast road cam

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electronic Ignition, fast road cam
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:52:58 -0300 (ADT)
Two items:

1."Ignitor" vs "Crane"  EI.  any comments?  The "Ignitor" is
cheaper (MOSS), and is totally encased under the distributor cap.
Overheating problems?  opinions ,experience, anyone?

2. I installed a Piper "fast road cam" (valve lift .400", duration: 272
intake,270 exhaust) and higher-than-stock compression pistons in my 72
MGB engine during its rebuild. I'm not getting nearly as much performance
as I expected to get with these modifications. I beleive my HIF carbs are
performing well(although I'm rebuilding HS4's so I can use them for the
vacuum advance)...note: emmissions have been totally removed...I was
using a direct line from the VA to the intake manifold, but was told that
it will advance my timing at incorrect times (I still don't understand
why and when you want vacuum advance).  It appears the distributer I have
is from a 64-67 (#40897). Could this be the problem?  Could the
mechanical advance weights be incorrect for my application?

Thanks for listening!
   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html