RE: Electronic Ignition, fast road cam

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition, fast road cam
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 06:36:43, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> Date: Wednesday, 05-Jun-96 09:59 AM
>

> Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition, fast road cam
>
> G.J. wrote:
> > Two items:

...I was
> > using a direct line from the VA to the intake manifold, but was
told
> that
> > it will advance my timing at incorrect times (I still don't
understand
> > why and when you want vacuum advance).

If you look carefully at a carb and spray cleaner into the connection
for the vacuum advance you will see that it exits ( picks up the vacuum
just above ( outside on a SU) the throttle plate. Once the throttle is
opened slightly the port is on the inside of the plate.
Thus at idle no ( or very little vacuum is picked up while once the
throttle is opened  vacuum is  available to the advance.
Therefore attaching the  advance line to any port which picks up on the
engine side of the throttle plate will give you far more advance than
needed at idle.

Denise Thorpe once wrote up a great explanation of the function of
vacuum complete with names for the vacuum on either side of the plate
but the only thing I remember is that it was the one time she never
mentioned MG 1100's.

GOD I "M GOING TO MISS HER!!!!!

Bob Nogueira
Dallas TX