Re: 75 MGB purchase and ignition switch

To: aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu
Subject: Re: 75 MGB purchase and ignition switch
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 01:24:39 -0400
Ignition switch I can't help you with.  I'd buy a new one, personally. I've
had very, very bad luck with used  ignition switches.

The 'center support' under the tranny ... is that a roughly 1" diameter rod
 with a rubber bushinged T connexion at the rear and a bolt on plate on the
front? If so, I'm not precisely sure that's a support; it's the rod that's
used to adjust the front-to-rear tension of the rear motor mount and can
adjust the motor forwards or backwards at bit when you're installing the
motor mounts. Having fairly recently done this, I'd say replace that piece by
all means. The rear end of this rod should be a threaded adjustment, as well.

75's have a few sort of unique pieces. The licence plate lamps are chromed,
for one thing; I'm not sure this was done on any other year. Some few of the
75's had gold badges front and rear, and I know that at least a few of them
had an octagonal badge inlet into the fascia just to the right of the glove
box; the badge had a 50th anniversary stamp on it. If you have an early 75,
it will have a points distributor rather than the electronic ignition; if you
have a mid-year, it will have the electronic ignition (replace this if it's
the Lucas original; they had heat problems) but no catalytic converter; if
you have a later model, it will have both electronic ignition and a catalytic
converter.  This is one of those model years where, in the parts catalogues,
you really have to pay attention to the RD number rather than the year of
production in order to find what part you need.

Good luck, and by all means enjoy! I rather like the 75's myself.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'