Re: MGB Cruise Control

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Cruise Control
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 21:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Williams Scott wrote:

> On 07-Jun-96, Ulix Goettsch wrote:
>
> > I installed an aftermarket CC (ignition pule hookup) on a '72 Olds 98 with
> > a 455 (?).
> >
> > Verdict: They suck, don't get one.
> >
> > Ask me if you need to hear more.
> >
> >                      __/__,__         ________/____,,_______
> > .................... (_o____o_) ..... (___ O _________ O ___/ ..............
> >                     '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy
> >

> Thank you for your opinion Ulix, but frankly I think it sucks. First of all,
> this is the MG mailing list, not the Olds mailing list. Secondly, I too have
> seen lots of bad aftermarket cruise controls. In fact, I have seen many
> factory cruise controls that were awful. The unit I have used has been over
> 10 years in four different MGs with over 200,000 miles covered and it always
> worked like a charm. So who has more say here?
>
> Scott C. Williams

Dear Scott,
I don't think the issue is who has more say here.

Maybe I was a bit blunt in my post, but I was in a hurry.
I included the fact that I installed it on an Olds to tell the whole
story, it is after all conceivable that this CC works great on a small
4-cylinder, but not on a V8.
I also wrote my post before I got yours containing your praise for your
setup - it thus was not intended to be a personal attack, but a warning of
an (in my experience) inferior product.

Now, I have deleted your earlier mail, but I believe you were referring to
the CC sold by JCW under 13NX6486P. What a coincedence! It's the same one
I bought at Auto Zone.
My problems with it were extremely slow response to inputs (SET or ACC),
and sometimes, I'd be cruising at 70, it would go into a mode of applying
throttle, then getting completely off the throttle and then back on the
throttle.
I was disppointed, because judging by the very slow response, it had felt
like an overdampening controller that would ensure no oscillations.
It just seemed to have a very poor control law.
It might work better on a car that is lighter and has less power.

Ulix (I also sent this to the Olds 98 list...)

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy