Armstrong Shocks Query

To: mgs@autox.team.net, British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Armstrong Shocks Query
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 20:23:46, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

SOLers;
I'm getting ready to rebuild my BGT front suspension. I've had a few
LBC which have had the Armstrong lever shocks and am somewhat puzzled.
The general word is that they are not the greatest shock and  they tend
to peter out rather quickly.

How can you tell if the shock is going bad?  I'm not talking about not
working at all but rather not providing the resistance they should.

The pair I removed from the Roadster ( no I'm not parting it out just
borrowing some front suspension parts to minimize the BGT'S down time)
seem to be in really good shape and no leaks. If I can use them the BGT
will get its much required  new carpet set, If I have to replace the
shocks ( or have them rebuilt ) the carpet gets to wait.)

My theory:
The Armstrongs have pistons which are not only fully bath in oil but
because of the design have very little piston movement  compared to
tube shocks  and no side loads on the pistons. Since piston or cylinder
wall wear would be the primary cause for lost of resistance the
Armstrongs should last a very long time provided the crank seals hold
up .

OK start educating me by  shooting this justification for carpet out of
the water with your collective wisdom .

Thanks.

Bob Nogueira
Dallas Ttx