Re: Armstrong Shocks Query

To: BOB NOGUEIRA <NKED65A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Armstrong Shocks Query
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:44:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, BOB NOGUEIRA wrote:

> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
> SOLers;
> I'm getting ready to rebuild my BGT front suspension. I've had a few
> LBC which have had the Armstrong lever shocks and am somewhat puzzled.
> The general word is that they are not the greatest shock and  they tend
> to peter out rather quickly.
>
> How can you tell if the shock is going bad?  I'm not talking about not
> working at all but rather not providing the resistance they should.

In over two decades of driving Bs, I have only had a four or five shocks go
bad
(only one rear shock). They are very durable. And I have always bought
used shocks for replacements (B and BGT shocks are interchangeable).

Usually they leak when they go bad, although I had one that didn't.
Another test is to check the shock's motion (pushing down on the
appropriate corner of the car or lifting the shock lever if its off the car).

Generally, they are easy to remove - four bolts on the front shock body
and one bolt on the lever.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net