Engine rebuilt in US

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuilt in US
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:38:08 +0100
Hi fellow MG listees,

After giving my opinion about unleaded and leaded gasoline and the
effect of it on an MGB engine, the following made me wonder:

My september '66 built B has been imported from California. I'm
almost sure the engine has been rebuilt once because:
- it runs very nicely, with good oil pressure;
- it has the original 18 GB engine number;
- it is painted in a non-original (flame red) MG engine colour.

I assume that most people wouldn't paint their engine because they
didn't like the colour, but with DPO's, you never really know!

As there is no leaded gasoline available anymore in the US of
America, what is the chance that a rebuilt engine is made suitable
for unleaded gas? I mean is it normal that a professional rebuilt is
always carried out in conjunction with an 'unleaded head'?

Or to put it otherwise: How can I check that I can use unleaded gas
without having to fear burnt valves (or am I just too careful?)

Bert Otten
'67 B