Re: MGB Ignition help

To: arm@unix.infoserve.net
Subject: Re: MGB Ignition help
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:56:58 -0500 (CDT)
Ross MacPherson writes:

>  The best I could do was 21K at the same junction.  As you suggest a new cap
> fixed me right up.  Unfortunately the old one won't serve as a spare.  It's
> only future is as a desk top pencil holder.

Don't do this!  The early MGB distributor caps are inherently unsafe
when pressed into pencil-holder service.  Since the holes are
perpendicular to the axis of rotation, the gravitational pull is in
entirely the wrong direction.  In addition to exhibiting poor
center-of-mass characteristics, any pencils inserted will have a
very small contact point, actually being cocked in their bores.  This
will promote rapid, asymmetrical wear, which could eventually lead to
critical failure.

Don't mess around with this.  Pencils are cheap, office correspondence
is not.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast