Re: Lights out!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net, jtilton@vt.edu
Subject: Re: Lights out!!
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 14:11:23 -0400
> Philippe Tusler wrote:
> >The old Lucas bulbs had lasted from 1966 to 1980, and were still good
> >when I swapped them out...  I've changed the halogens at least twice each
> >since I put them in...

> Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu
> That's something I've noticed too.
> Maybe those Lucas chaps weren't the clods we make them out to be.
>
> R. Johnson - Dallas
> Jay,
> Interesting comment about Lucas headlights...
> They did make those headlights to last!
>
> Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
> I, too, have the original Lucas lamps in my '63 B,

> Scott C. Williams
>
> I have
> the original lamps in my '73 daily driver!

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but it is not good Lucas bulb design
but poor Lucas electrical design that keep you bulb burning. Bulbs are
designed to have a certain life at a certain wattage. The wattage of
the bulb is obtained by applying the correct voltage to the bulb.

Let's look at an example I am familiar with. A certain 12V 100W quartz
halogen projector bulb life is rated at 25 hours. Not to long. But if
the voltage is reduced, the life goes up exponentially. Running this
bulb at 8 volts the calculated life is >20,000 hours.

Now with all the Lucas connectors and grounds that corrode the full 12V
never gets to the head lights thus extending the life dramatically.

- -Mark "My bulbs last longer than my connections" Jurras