Re: 68 MGBGT dead battery

To: Scott Vetter <svetter@beta.centenary.edu>
Subject: Re: 68 MGBGT dead battery
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:24:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Scott Vetter wrote:

> Hi folks, I'm new on your list (about two weeks).  I love reading your
> messages.  I have a question-- My 68 MGBGT which I am restoring (over too
> many years) seems to always has a dead battery.  I have replaced the
> battery and put a new alternator on (from Moss, but I have to change the
> conection per Moss' instructions and kit).  My question is how can I
> check to see if the battery is charging??  Or do I have something
> draining the battery??  How can I check to see if their is a drain on the
> battery?

For a quick and dirty test of whether something's draining your battery,
make sure everything is turned off and the doors are closed (to keep the
courtesy light off).  Then disconnect the ground terminal of the battery
and in a dim light, tap the terminal against the post.  A spark as
the terminal touches the post indicates you have a drain somewhere.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910