Re: primer...

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: primer...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:33:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Ross MacPherson wrote:

> While work progresses on my GT I began to wonder what harm it could do to
> prime the bare parts with regular aerosol primer.  That will provide some
> protection till it's ready to hit the spray booth.  Any comments?
> Is there any good reason why I shouldn't do this?

  A couple of thoughts here-  while spray-can primer is better than
  _no_ primer on exposed bare metal, you should plan on sanding the
  stuff off just prior to your final prep.  The reason is that most
  shops (and DIY painters) recommend a self-etching primer as the
  first coat.  This MUST be in direct contact with steel (or another
  layer of etch primer) to bond properly.

> I plan on sealing over the surface rusted areas with `Extend' which,
> I'm told, is a wonder product for exactly this.

  Hmm.  Wonder product??  You wont be wondering what those bubbles
  are that are poking through your $hiny paint next year. <g>
  If you absolutely must use a rust-morphing product, consider
  using either Coroless or POR15.  I've used both on suspension
  and chassis bits (but not body panels) and both are durable.

  Just my thoughts...

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.